Register with the FCC

Written 2022-04-03

Welcome to a new group of acronyms.

Before you appear at an exam session in hopes of earning an amateur radio license, you must have registered with the FCC (Federal Communications Commission). Registering in CORES (COmmission REgistration System) will assign you an FRN ( FCC Registration Number), which you need for your exam paperwork, and will allow you to administer your account in the ULS (Universal Licensing System).

You can do this by visiting the ULS page at and choosing "New User Registration".

This takes you to the CORES page at Click "Register".

Answer the initial question pair:

Enter your information. Be sure to enter an email address; that will be the primary way that the FCC communicates with you.

Oops, be careful with browser auto-fill when filling out a form for someone else! I should probably change "Charles" to "Liliana" in the contact info.

After submitting the form, you'll see the confirmation with your all-important FRN at the top.

All done!